Veggie Brownies – A healthy and delicious way to get veggies into those who don’t like them, wont eat them or into a stubborn toddler who refuses all green or orange food.
I used Jessica Seinfeld’s Deceptively Delicious Brownies recipe as a base for my brownies. I made a few adjustments based on what I had in the house. The recipe I am listing is my interpretation of Jessica Seinfeld’s recipe. Because this recipe was so delicious I am going to buy her cookbook. Next time I make these I am going to substitute Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil for the margarine.
Yield: 16 small brownies
Non-stick cooking spray
3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (you can use bittersweet chocolate)
1 Jar(4 oz) Baby food carrot purée
1 Jar(4 oz) Sweet Potatoes
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar (you can use light brown sugar)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 large egg white
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat an 8×8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt the chocolate. – I did it in the microwave in a glass bowl. 30 seconds on high take out and stir for 30 seconds put back in microwave for 30 seconds on high and stir for about 1 minute repeat process until all the chocolate is melted.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in egg white. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 16 pieces.
These brownies are only 100 calories per brownie.