Today we started our new diet plan. Thanks to a couple of friends who have started it and have had great success even in as little as 3 days. They are my inspiration!! And thanks to the NOM NOM PALEO iPad app for the iPad for the mouth-watering recipes, best $5.99 I have spent on a cooking app yet. The Nom Nom Paleo website is a wonderful resource tool as well.
Breakfast was a scrambled egg with bacon, garlic, and herb seasoning.
Lunch we had diced chicken and kale
Dinner was a delicious Salad with various greens, tomatoes, red peppers, onions, bacon and kale. YUM YUM YUM…
It was a pretty easy day but I have been warned the carb cravings will kick in soon and to ignore them the best that I can. Good thing is I keep thinking of the health benefits of having a low GI diet. I have hopes that this diet will help my body not need the thyroid medication anymore. I know it won’t happen over night but I sure am looking forward to a few weeks from now when I go back to the Dr for a check up. In addition to the new diet we (my 2yr old & I) are working out at the YMCA 5 days a week.
With a picky toddler who will voluntarily eat only certain veggies I have started to get creative with how to mix them into meals I am making so they are nicely masked. With the help of the moms in the mother’s group I am part of I have learned to be sneaky getting some veggies into my little fruititarian.
Veggie Packed Meatloaf
2.5 lbs of your choice of ground meat (I use the meatloaf mix/blend)
1 small can of spinach
1 small can of corn
1 large can of tomato paste
3 cloves of garlic (I used 2 Tbsp dehydrated minced garlic)
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 Tbsp chopped/minced dehydrated onion
A dash of cayenne pepper
2 large Eggs
1 cup Bread crumbs
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 jar/can of pasta sauce
1. Pre-heat the oven to 325° F
2. In a large bowl put in the meat and combine all the veggies and tomato paste. Make sure to mix this well.
3. in a smaller bowl combine the 2 eggs, garlic, Italian seasoning, dehydrated onion, cayenne pepper, and the Worcestershire sauce. Beat this mixture until it is well mixed.
4. Add the egg mixture to the meat and knead together when it looks like it is mixed well add the breadcrumbs and knead until it is mixed well but don’t over mix.
5. Lightly grease the pan you choose to use. (I used a 9×13 cake pan)
6. Add the meatloaf mixture and press down to make as flat of a surface as you can
7. Bake for 30 minutes. Then remove from the oven and and drain the grease as carefully as possible
8. Pour pasta sauce over the top of the meatloaf.
9. Put meatloaf back into the oven and bake for an additional 35 – 45 minutes.
10. Check to make sure the internal temp is at least 155° F if it is then remove from oven and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes to cool down a little. Cut, serve and enjoy.
Delicious Beans and Rice
1 can black beans
1 pouch of 10 minute boil in the bag rice
1 slice american cheese
ground red pepper
1/2 tsp cheddar cheese powder
In the water for the rice put a dash of each of the seasonings. (powdered garlic, powdered onion, italian seasoning, chili powder, ground red pepper, black pepper) and a pat of butter.
pour black beans into a strainer and heat them with the water used to boil the rice in. and set a side for a moment.
open the pack of rice and dump it into the pan. Add a pat of butter and a dash of each of the seasonings and about 1/2 teaspoon of the cheddar powder. mix together. Add the black beans and a slice of american cheese and mix well.
it is ready to serve… YUMM
This is a quick and simple way to make chili in a hurry.
1 packet of chili mix
1 jar of salsa(what ever type/style you like, I use a large jar)
1 can beans(I use black beans)
1 small can tomato paste (Depending on how large a jar of salsa you use and how thick you like your chili)
1/2 lb cooked ground beef optional(I generally skip the ground beef)
Mix it in a pot simmer for 10-15 minutes and serve with cornbread, rice and/tortillas.
Veggie Brownies – A healthy and delicious way to get veggies into those who don’t like them, wont eat them or into a stubborn toddler who refuses all green or orange food.
I used Jessica Seinfeld’s Deceptively Delicious Brownies recipe as a base for my brownies. I made a few adjustments based on what I had in the house. The recipe I am listing is my interpretation of Jessica Seinfeld’s recipe. Because this recipe was so delicious I am going to buy her cookbook. Next time I make these I am going to substitute Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil for the margarine.
Yield: 16 small brownies
Non-stick cooking spray
3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (you can use bittersweet chocolate)
1 Jar(4 oz) Baby food carrot purée
1 Jar(4 oz) Sweet Potatoes
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar (you can use light brown sugar)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 large egg white
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat an 8×8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt the chocolate. – I did it in the microwave in a glass bowl. 30 seconds on high take out and stir for 30 seconds put back in microwave for 30 seconds on high and stir for about 1 minute repeat process until all the chocolate is melted.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, margarine, and vanilla, and whisk until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in egg white. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into 16 pieces.
These brownies are only 100 calories per brownie.
Cross-posted on MoMWoW.
I was out of mustard and I decided to experiment with the ground mustard seed I had sitting in my spice rack. I remembered when I was in college my mom telling me that I could make my own mustard out of mustard seed and vinegar. It was so easy to make and delicious. It tastes like a horseradish mustard. The key is to let it sit in the fridge for 24 – 48 hours before using it.
Dawn’s Spicy Mustard
4 Tbsp – Powdered Mustard Seed
4 Tbsp – White Vinegar
1/4 tsp – Turmeric Powder
1/4 tsp – Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp – Onion Powder
1/4 tsp – Paprika Powder
blend everything together and place in a sealed jar. Put the jar in the fridge and it is ready to use in 24-48 hours. I add a little water to get the consistency I want.